INSPIRATION | MEGHAN MARKLE

1:00 PM


A few weeks ago I started re-watching Suits and got so sucked into its world that at some point, I was wondering if I shouldn't be studying law. I don't really think that, but lately I've been inspired by a certain type of businesswoman: the style, self-sufficiency and determination of people like Caroline de Maigret and Emmanuelle Alt (okay, they're both French too, another weak spot of mine..). In Suits, I mostly remembered Dana Scott as being this type of woman. But while watching the episodes, I became more and more drawn to Rachel Zane. Coincidentally the actress portraying her, Meghan Markle, has been in the entertainment news quite a bit lately because of her links to Prince Harry. Because I always try to learn as much as I can about the people I am fascinated with, I found her lifestyle website The Tig pretty fast and became really intrigued by it.


Not only does Markle have an amazing sense of style (as does her Suits character): she has a pretty amazing view of life as well. I got really inspired by the way she takes care of herself physically. Her diet consists of green juices and salads, but she loves to indulge in French fries, pastas and red wine. She can probably be considered a foodie: her Instagram account is especially mouth-watering. For fitness she does a lot of yoga and running, which are two things I love to do as well. The Tig also has a lot of articles about mental health, about certain ways of thinking and being mindful, that are very interesting. 

She also wrote an article about being biracial. I read this and recognised a lot of it. My mother is Caucasian (Dutch) and my father is African-American and I have had moments of not knowing what I was. I usually feel like 'the other': in mostly-white company I am very aware of being coloured, and with my black family I feel very pale. That's why I love to be around, and hear from, other mixed-race people and how they experience it. It's very motivating to know that someone like Meghan Markle, who has made it this far in the world and seems pretty content with the way she lives-- as she should be, judging from her website and career-- has felt the same kinds of doubts and insecurities that I have about my ethnicity and my 'place in society'. I have, in a short time, learned a lot from her take on things as she discusses them on The Tig. Maybe you can get just as inspired!



You Might Also Like

1 comments

Pinterest