OLD SOUTHERN STYLE

8:00 AM


I live in the part of Amsterdam called 'Oud-Zuid' (the Old South). It's near Rijksmuseum, the Concert Hall and Vondelpark, and is known for its decadence and wealth. When I mention that I'm from there, I sometimes get asked if I've played hockey or the violin as a kid, or if I love horses, or if my parents have an art studio at home, or if my mother wears pearls and I grew up with lots of money. I didn't. I do know that lots of neighbours of mine meet at least one of those requirements.

What I've noticed lately is that the people, and especially the elderly, have a very distinguished sense of style here. Some of it is due to the money that supposedly is predominant in this neighbourhood, but some of it also stems from a certain idea of elegance. And yes, maybe this elegance is related to the wealth. But it's also related to a certain way of thinking that belongs to people born and raised in a big city. I actually wrote a piece on this, and set out to take pictures of typical 'city people' but then I came across all these wonderful elderly people in my neighbourhood wearing classy, sometimes strikingly bold winter outfits. The men walk with their hands behind their backs and their heads held high. The women walk determinedly and with quick, big paces. And all of them have an attitude that could be seen as cockiness, but I prefer confidence. 

And oh my god, those Dalmatians are too beautiful.

Pictures by me, taken in Amsterdam Oud-Zuid.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest